Sunday 10 March 2013

My (Dys)functional Family

I received one of the greatest phone calls the other day. My eldest brother texted me whilst I was work, just with the words “Can you text me when you’re free? X” Me, being the world’s biggest worrier, thought that something must be wrong. When Si called later on, I was a little confused by his first question; “What’s Bournemouth like, Gem?” Si needed a fresh start and a day later he handed in his notice at work and decided that he’s going to move down south in mid May to join me! I’m so excited!

Over the years, I’ve not seen as much of my big brother as I’d like. Technically, I’m one of five, although technically I’m not. I have a rather complicated family that has resulted in me having a twin brother, two half brothers and having adopted their half sister as my own. We are all so close, and yet there’s only one photo in existence of all five of us together, because we’re never in the same place at the same time.


The problem is me, Danny and Si, and we’ll admit it; because Adam and Steph still live at home. Si moved to the Lake District when he was 16 and two years later, Danny joined him. I then moved to Coventy, whilst studying at Warwick University. Then, when I was living in Leamington Spa in my third year, Si moved to the Cotswolds, just outside of Oxford and so we saw each other a lot. After Uni, I moved back to Manchester and then to Crewe, following jobs as I went. It’s only recently I’ve found out that, in the same week I moved to Bournemouth, Si journeyed back up North.

And he’s bored, just like I was in a small town with nothing to do. So he made the decision on the phone the other night. Soon I’ll be reunited with my big brother, and I can’t wait.

What I find really interesting, is how a family that only gets together very rarely, can share as much, if not more love, than families that live in each other’s pockets. I’ve seen families almost tear each other’s throats out, but mine never have, despite the fact that we don’t always call or text each other back. I don’t have the answer, but I’m intrigued to know – what do you think is at work here?

Join the conversation #The378Blog or @FieryRockets on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment